I find myself with some extra time before I leave for the ALA Annual Conference in New Orleans, so I thought I’d jot down a quick post about my schedule in case anyone is going to the same events and wants to say hi. Due to alarm clock issues, I missed my 5:40 AM flight this morning. Luckily, the United Airlines agent at the ticket desk was able to rebook me on a later flight. I’m so grateful for this since nearly everything was all booked up. So, I’m now leaving this afternoon and will arrive just after midnight. Find me tomorrow around the conference center – I’ll be the groggy one with the extra-large coffee.
This is my second ALA Annual conference. The first one was 2009 in Chicago while I was still a library school student, and I didn’t plan as well as I could have. I feel like I missed out on a lot of social activities and meeting people. Now I have a smartphone, I have many more twitter connections, and I have been working on my schedule to make sure I have plenty of back-up sessions planned in case things don’t work out. I think I’m on track to have a better experience this time. I am missing some events I was looking forward to this evening, but it’s better than not getting to go at all, right?
Some events I’m particularly excited about:
- Emerging Leaders Salon, 1:30-3:30. I’m really interested to hear about people’s experiences in the EL program.
- NMRT Resume Review Service: I’m having my resume reviewed and serving as a booth greeter. If your appointment is between 3-4pm, I’ll be there to help you.
- SJSU SLIS reception 4-6:30: Excited to see other SLIS alums at the reception. I’ll be a bit late, maybe 5pm.
- ALA Newbie and Veteran Tweet-up! Bar Uncommon, 7pm. Hopefully I’ll meet a bunch of people I only know online, and find new people to follow.
- Facebook after hours social, Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop, 9pm.
- Lost in Translation: The Emerging Technology Librarian and the New Technology, 8-10AM. Interested to learn more about actually getting new technology implemented.
- Library Instruction Round Table BITES, 12:30PM: lunch with LIRT folks. I’m not a member, but I’m interested in instruction.
- NMRT membership meeting, 1:30-3:30PM: I’m NMRT’s liaison to the California Library Association, and I’ll be on two committees starting after the conference, so I want to make sure to attend this meeting.
- Flash Mob and Freeze, 5:30-6pm: Patrick Sweeney organized this advocacy event to raise awareness for the need for community support of libraries in this era of endless budget cuts and closings. Wear something library-related, get to Jackson Square by 5:45, and Freeze for 3 minutes at 5:50 to take part.
- Welcome to Planet FURLOW: Advice for Furloughed, Underemployed, Restless, and Laid-Off Workers, 8-10AM. Career advice is always welcome.
- How I Landed My First Librarian Position, and What I Did ‘In Between’ 10:30-12:00. I’m interested in hearing people’s stories, since I am trying to land my first librarian position.